There is no denying the importance of natural breast milk for your newborn. Especially in the first few years of infancy breast milk should be the primary source of your child’s daily nutrition. But breastfeeding is not always possible.
Suppose you have a job or going on a trip. Many women find it difficult to breastfeed in these situations. So, they choose alternative nutrition sources such as baby formula. In this modern era, more and more women are opting for alternative food sources for their convenience.
We know that there is a stigma concerning baby formula but if you are thinking of adding it to your baby’s diet then there is nothing to be ashamed about. In this article, we will be discussing the benefits and use of baby formula. We’ve also made a list of 8 best baby formula for sensitive stomach babies.
- 1 What Is A Baby Formula?
- 2 What to Look for When Buying Baby Formula?
- 3 5 Best Baby Formula for Sensitive Stomach
- 3.1 1. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron
- 3.2 2. Enfamil Nutramigen Baby Formula
- 3.3 3. Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula
- 3.4 4. Enfagrow PREMIUM Toddler Next Step Natural Milk Powder
- 3.5 5. Enfamil ProSobee Soy Infant Formula
- 3.6 6. Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Infant Formula
- 3.7 7. Earth’s Best Baby Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula
- 3.8 8. Gerber Good Start Infant Formula
- 4 Is Baby Formula Safe?
- 5 Disadvantages Of Using Baby Formula
- 6 Precautions Of Using Baby Formula
- 7 Conclusion
What Is A Baby Formula?
Baby formula is a specially designed food product that is made to mimic the nutritional benefits of breast milk. These are food for infants under 12 years of age. The composition of the baby formula is designed based on the composition of breast milk.
Most commonly they contain ingredients such as cow’s milk, casein, vitamins, minerals, lactose, and other ingredients. Some manufacturers use soybean instead of cow’s milk for parents who’d want to raise their child vegetarian or children with lactose intolerance.
Generally, a single portion of baby formula will contain the following ingredients:
- Carbohydrates: About 30 to 40 percent of baby formula contains carbohydrates. They provide energy and help in the absorption of minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, etc. Milk-based formulas will contain lactose as a carbohydrate source. On the other hand, soy-based formulas contain glucose, sucrose, dextrin and different sorts of starches.
- Fats: Healthy fats are another essential source of energy. Natural breast milk is about 50% fat. So, a baby formula that is designed to mimic breast milk also contains a hefty amount of fat. Fat is provided in the form of palm oil, soy oil, safflower oil, etc.
- Nucleotides: Nucleotides are the building blocks of DNA and RNA which are essential for normal body functions and proper growth. Usually, alternative milk sources like cow’s milk and soy-milk do not contain as many nucleotides as breast milk. So, companies usually add nucleotides to baby formulas.
- Minerals: I don’t think I need to explain the importance of minerals when it comes to the growth of your baby. They help in bone growth (Calcium, phosphorus, etc.), brain development (zinc) and various metabolic processes.
- Vitamins: Vitamins are another essential component of baby formula. They boost growth and strengthen the immune system.
- Probiotics: These are healthy bacteria that help you baby break down food and boost absorption.
- Others: Baby formulas contain loads of other components like emulsifiers, diluents, etc.
What to Look for When Buying Baby Formula?
When buying baby formula, you should definitely check the label to know what you are putting in your baby’s mouth. There are baby formulas of many types. So, you have to figure out which one best suit the specific needs and requirements of your little one. Here are some things you should check before choosing a baby formula:
First, you must check whether the baby formula you are buying contains cow’s milk or some alternative milk substance like soy-milk. You might want to go for alt-milk sources if your child has any physical abnormalities or for personal preference.
Though we advise that you choose cow’s milk as it is more available and considered considerably beneficial by doctors. However, it is always recommended to consult with an expert before deciding on anything for your baby.
You can find baby formulas as powdered, ready to use, or liquid concentrate forms. Powdered versions are the least expensive but difficult to use and not very hygienic. Ready to use formulas are easy to use and doesn’t require any mixing. But they are pretty expensive as well. Concentrated formulas are kind of a middle ground between the other two forms.
You should check for lactose if your baby is lactose intolerant. There are specially designed baby formulas for babies of this sort. This is very important while choosing a formula for your baby.
There are all sorts of baby formulas that vary drastically in price. We know that you want to provide the best for your baby. But you have to consider your financial condition as well. Go for a baby formula that is nutritious and easy on your wallet. There are plenty of options in the market that won’t break your bank.
Baby formulas are packed with all sorts of ingredients. Some of which may cause allergic reactions if ingested. So, check the label for any ingredient your baby might be allergic to. If you are not careful with this, the formula can pose great harm to your baby’s health.
We don’t recommend you limit a newborn to solely baby formula. But if you have a physical condition or any other reason that prevents you from breastfeeding then make sure you choose a formula that is iron-fortified. This will help boost iron levels and prevent anemia.
5 Best Baby Formula for Sensitive Stomach
Now that you understand what baby formula is and what to look for let’s take a look at the 5 best baby formulas for sensitive stomachs. We have done hours of research and internet surfing for you. We’ve also talked to pediatricians and experienced mothers to help us with this topic and find the best baby formula brands in the market.
At number one, we have Similac sensitive infant baby formula. If your baby is lactose sensitive then this is your go-to baby formula. It is easy to digest and packed with vitamin E, omega-3 (DHA), and omega-6 (ARA) fatty acids that help your little one grow healthy and strong.
Being one of the most popular formula brands you can’t go wrong with Similac sensitive infant formula.
Features of Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron:
- Nutrient packed: Similac sensitive infant formula contains vitamin E, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids and many other essential nutrients that assist in cognitive and physical growth.
- No lactose sensitivity: This special blend of baby formula is designed for lactose sensitive babies. So, you can say goodbye to upset stomachs and gas.
- Contains 2-FL HMO: Silica is the only company to add 2-FL human milk oligosaccharide in their baby formula. Previously this could only be found in breast milk. 2-FL HMO is a prebiotic that helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Iron-fortified:With 30% iron content this baby formula is a great choice if you are planning on a formula exclusive diet.
- Packed with nutrients
- Help develop the brain and immune system
- Contains 2-FL HMO
- A great formula for infants with sensitive stomachs
- No added hormones
- Foamy formula
- A bit pricey
Enfamil Nutramigen baby formula is a lactose-free solution for babies allergic to cow’s milk. It contains various essential nutrients such as DHA, ARA, choline, etc. It contains Enflora LGG probiotics that help with allergy management and improves digestive health. It is iron-fortified.
Features of Enfamil Nutramigen Baby Formula:
- LGG probiotics: The LGG probiotics improve digestion and help prevent allergic reactions.
- No lactose or sucrose: No lactose means this formula would be a great choice for babies with lactose intolerance or lactose sensitivity.
- Iron-fortified: Enfamil Nutramigen formula fulfills the daily iron requirement of your child until the age of 12.
- Very nutritious
- Help with brain development
- Boosts immune system
- Contains LGG probiotics
- Great for sensitive stomachs
- Reduce the incidence of allergy challenges by 50%
Similac Pro-Advance infant formula is probably the closest baby formula to breast milk you can find in the market. A difference between this and Similac Sensitive formula is that this contains lactose. So, if your baby is lactose intolerant then you should definitely skip this one. But for lactose tolerant babies this is the closest thing to breast milk you can provide your child.
Features of Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula:
- Closest formula to breast milk: The Similac Pro-Advance contains all the essential nutrients of breast milk and is the closest formula to breast milk.
- 2-FL HMO: Similac Pro-Advance and Pro-Sensitive are the only two baby formulas that contain 2-FL HMO a natural prebiotic found in breast milk. They work to boost your baby’s immune system so that he can grow up healthy and strong.
- Iron-fortified: Similac Pro-Advance provides your child with the daily iron requirement and prevents conditions such as anemia.
- Closest formula to breast milk
- Packed with nutrients
- Help develop the brain and immune system
- Contains 2-FL HMO
- No added hormones
- Not suitable for lactose intolerant babies
Enfagrow Premium milk powder is specially designed to meet the nutritional needs of toddlers over 1 year of age. This milk powder offers two times more DHA and 30% less sugar than competing brands. Most toddlers are fussy eaters and do not get the nutrition they need for proper growth. Enfagrow premium fills that nutritional gap while retaining the natural deliciousness of milk.
Features of Enfagrow PREMIUM Toddler Next Step Natural Milk Powder:
- More nourishment: Enfagrow premium contains nutrients than its competition and ensures proper physical and cognitive growth.
- Boosts immune system: It contains vitamin C, zinc and prebiotics that help boost the immune system of your child.
- Natural milk flavor: Enfagrow contains natural milk powder and free of any GMO or artificial flavoring.
- Fills the nutritional gap in toddlers
- Boost immune system
- Enhances physical growth
- More DHA
- Less sugar
- Natural milk flavor
- Fragile packaging
Enfamil ProSobee is a soy-milk based baby formula for lactose sensitive babies. It is designed to prevent gas and colic. It contains DHA and chlorine which are essential nutritional components for brain development. Enfamil ProSobee promises to deliver all of your child’s daily dietary requirements up to the age of 12 months.
Features of Enfamil ProSobee Soy Infant Formula:
- Soy-milk based: Soy-milk does not contain lactose and contains most of the national benefits of natural cow’s milk. This makes Enfamil ProSobee a great choice for lactose sensitive children.
- Boosts brain development: This baby formula delivers DHA and choline which help to improve brain development.
- Improves immune system: It contains essential immune-boosting ingredients that help prevent diseases and allow your child to grow healthy.
- Soy-milk based
- No lactose component
- A great formula for infants with sensitive stomachs
- Boosts brain development
- Enhances the immune system
- No added probiotics
Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease is the first baby formula to have both inositol and DHA in its ingredient list. These ingredients are proven to enhance cognitive development. This formula contains baby probiotics and easily digestible proteins that prevent gas, upset stomach and colic. Enfamil NeuroPro is a concoction of 30 different nutrients that promote growth and boost health.
Features of Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Infant Formula:
- 30 essential nutrients: The Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlenease formula contains 30 essential nutrients including DHA, MFGM, vitamins, and minerals that promote physical, cognitive development and enhance the immune system.
- Promote brain development: The added DHA and MFGM are essential nutrients that boost brain development.
- Iron-fortified: Packed with Iron the Enfamil NeuroPro delivers your child’s daily iron requirement preventing conditions such as anemia.
- Ready to use: No mixing needed. Just pour and you are ready to go. This makes this baby formula much more convenient than the previously mentioned formulas on this list.
- Easily digestible
- No gas or colic
- 30 essential nutrients
- Non-GMO ingredients
- No mixing needed
- Lib breaks easily
- Need to be used with 24 hours of opening
The Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity baby formula is another solution for lactose sensitive children. It is milk-based but claims to contain 95% less lactose than other milk-based baby formulas. Besides this, it contains various essential nutrients like DHA, ARA, minerals, vitamins, and prebiotics that help with digestion and improve health.
Features of Earth’s Best Baby Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula:
- 95% less lactose: This milk-based baby formula contains 95% less lactose than other ones. This makes it a great option for lactose sensitive children. So, you can be sure that your baby won’t suffer from gas or an upset stomach.
- All-natural: Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity formula contains no added colors, artificial taste, preservatives or any other inorganic component.
- Boosts immunity: Included prebiotics and vitamins boost your child’s immune system that helps to fight off bacteria, viruses and keep your baby healthy.
- 95% less lactose than other milk-based formulas
- Natural ingredients
- Improves immunity
- Contains lutein for eyes
- DHA and ARA for brain development
- Poor packaging
The Gerber Good Start infant formula was designed after breast milk. It offers to deliver the natural benefits and nutrition of breast milk at an affordable price. It contains easily digestible proteins and probiotics that metabolic functions. It also contains DHA, 2-FL HMO, and loss of other ingredients that improve brain and physical development and boost immunity.
Features of Gerber Good Start Infant Formula:
- Easy Digestion: The formula contains easily digestible proteins and probiotics to make digestion much easier for your child. This prevents gas, upset stomach, and fussiness.
- Packed with nutrients: The Greber Good Start is designed to mimic breast milk and supply all dietary requirements of your child for healthy growth.
- No artificial growth hormones: This baby does not contain any sort of artificial hormones or any other inorganic ingredients that can supposedly harm your child.
- Close to breast milk
- Easy to digest
- No artificial ingredients
- Boosts immunity
- Enhances brain development
- Packaging is not well done
Is Baby Formula Safe?
When it comes to nutrition there is no competition between natural mother’s milk and baby formula. The mother’s milk is clearly the winner. But breast milk isn’t always available. Some women even suffer from conditions that inhibit breast milk production or prevent them from nursing.
In these situations, mothers have no other option than resorting to baby formula. But baby formulas should act more as supplements instead of being a major part of your child’s diet.
Many baby formulas contain trace amounts of melamine, palm oil, corn syrup, and other harmful ingredients. These do not cause a problem in small amounts. But restricting your child’s diet to solely baby formula may lead to cancer, impaired growth, obesity, heart disease, and other undesirable conditions.
So, the bottom line is that try to feed your baby breast milk as much as you can. But using the baby formula in moderation is not a problem.
There is a specific group of women for whom the baby formula is not just a luxury necessity. This group includes the following –
- Mothers with jobs
- Mothers unable to breastfeed
- Mothers who are ill or on medication
Mothers who have full-time job usually don’t have the time to be with their children all the time. So, they have no other choice but to resort to baby formula. This way they can continue their work and make sure their children are getting the proper nutrition they need.
Some mothers suffer from terrible physical conditions that leave them unable to produce breast milk. For example, hypoplasia of the breasts. On the other hand, some mothers suffer from infections like HIV, HTLV-1 or are on medications that contradict breastfeeding like tetracycline, anti-cancer drugs, etc.
For women like these, baby formula can be the next best thing. And if you do not belong among them then it is advised that you breastfeed as much as possible.
Disadvantages Of Using Baby Formula
There are some disadvantages of using baby formula instead of breastfeeding. First of all, no baby formula can completely mimic the nutritional value of natural breast milk. All baby formula will one breast milk component or the other that may be crucial in your child’s physical or mental development.
Many baby formulas contain various types of harmful substances such as melamine, palm oil, excess sugar, corn syrup that may cause illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, obesity, and many others.
Breastfeeding promotes the release of dopamine that helps to reduce stress levels in both mothers and children. They also help to strengthen the bond between a mother and a child. Breastfeeding allows the child to be in close contact with the mother.
It has been proven that being in close contact with parents allows children to develop speech faster. Being restricted to only baby formula your child won’t be able to receive all of these benefits. So, we strongly advise that you breastfeed your child alongside using formula.
Precautions Of Using Baby Formula
Baby formulas are relatively harmless. But then again babies are particularly sensitive. So, special care must be taken while formula feeding.
- Properly wash your hands before feeding
- Sanitize the feeding bottle and nipple with hot water before feeding.
- In case of ready to use formulas you need to feed the whole bottle within 2 hours
- Do not keep liquid formulas at room temperature
- In case of powdered formula follow the instructions provided by the company,
- Throw out liquid formula bottles as soon as your baby is done feeding.
In this modern era when everyone is always on the move, more and more women are opting out of baby formula. We recommend women breastfeed more often but we do not judge who might think that using formula is necessary.
But if you are going to enlist baby formula in your child’s daily diet then we advise that you choose a brand that properly meets your child’s needs. In this article, we’ve provided you with a list of the best baby formula for sensitive stomach. Hope you have learned something today. Wishing you and your baby the best of luck. Thanks for stopping by.