If you have been searching online about the best car seat for 6 year old, then good news! You have finally stumbled upon an article that is packed with all the necessary information about car seats for six year olds. We have specifically covered the age group six here, so this is the ultimate car seat buying guide for you if you have a six year old child in the family.
Not all six year olds are the same. So, there is no universally ideal seating arrangement for six year old children inside a car. Acknowledging this diversity, we have tailored our article accordingly, so that it could appeal to a broader range of audience. Without further ado, let’s get the ball rolling.
- 1 Top 10 Best Car Seat For 6 Year Old Reviews – Quick Answer
- 1.1 1. Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 Harness Booster Seat
- 1.2 2. Britax Grow with You ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- 1.3 3. Evenflo SafeMax 3-in-1 Combination Booster Seat
- 1.4 4. Cosco Finale DX 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat
- 1.5 5. Graco TurboBooster TakeAlong Highback Booster
- 1.6 6. Chicco GoFit Plus Backless Booster Car Seat
- 1.7 7. BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat
- 1.8 8. Big Kid LX High Back Booster
- 1.9 9. Diono Cambria 2 Latch Booster Seat
- 1.10 10. Evenflo Maestro Sport Harness Booster Car Seat
- 2 How To Buy The Best Car Seat for Six Year Old?
- 3 Best Car Seat for 6 Year Old: Classification
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Thoughts
Top 10 Best Car Seat For 6 Year Old Reviews – Quick Answer
1. Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 Harness Booster Seat
- 3-in-1 harness booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth
- Grows with your child from forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds) to highback booster (40-100 pounds) to backless booster (40-100 pounds) to continue to meet industry standards, we have increased the weight minimum from 30 to 40 pounds
- No-rethread simply safe adjust harness system allows the headrest and harness to adjust together in one motion.Do not use bleach
Anyone looking to buy a booster car seat for 6 year old should treat Graco Tranzitions as a strong candidate. The price tag it comes with will not offset you even if you are looking to buy something at the lower price bracket. It can be used as a household chair for your kids, besides installing it in your cars to make your road adventures safe and comfy for your child.
To its maximum capacity, Graco Tranzitions can harness 100lbs of weight. This is a generous weight limit, considering the passenger’s age. These seats made no compromise in comfort to prioritize safety. It has plush harness pads that impose minimal stress on your child’s back. The wider strap distance also accounts for a better riding experience.
If you feel that your child needs extra cushioning, then you have the option to add more. You can throw in an additional pillow in the back as a padding upgrade. You can also add two cupholders to keep water bottles or juice boxes. When not needed, you can retract those inwards to free up some extra bit of space.
- Appropriate for ages 3-12.
- Great price.
- Ergonomic design.
- Difficult to install.
2. Britax Grow with You ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- TRUSTED QUALITY, UPDGRADED DESIGN: Looking for Frontier. Grow with you ClickTight is our newest harness to booster car seat
- PREMIUM, SOFT TOUCH FABRIC: 4-way stretch athleisure fabric combines style and function for a modern look that’s easy to clean
- 2 in 1 BOOSTER SEAT: Easily transitions from forward facing harness mode to belt positioning booster mode as your child grows from toddler to big kid
If the name didn’t give it away already, let us point out that this product can serve you in two different ways. It can be a booster seat for 6 year old, or it can be used as a harness. To sum up, this is one of the best booster seats with harness. You can use the harness till your child reaches 90lbs in weight, and switch to booster mode till he/she hits the 120lbs mark.
Setting up a car seat for 6 year old inside your car is not always an easy thing to do. It could be a difficult endeavor to undertake when you have nobody else to help you, or when you are trying to get it done on a jiffy. Realizing this problem, Britax has used its signature ClickTight technology, so that you can install the seat in minimal time.
You will find this seat particularly helpful, if you have taller kids in the house. You can get nine harness positions in this chair, and the maximum height you can achieve is no less than 20.5 inches. The multiple harness positions also give you the option to use the seat for more than one kid. It is the best car seat to grow with baby.
- Easy to install.
- Easy to switch from one mode to the other.
- Suitable for taller kids.
3. Evenflo SafeMax 3-in-1 Combination Booster Seat
- Extended Use: 3 modes of use – Harness Booster, High Back Booster, & No Back Booster
- Rollover-Tested: Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the federal crash test standard AND tested to simulate a side impact and rollover event
- SafeZone Headrest: 4 layers of premium materials designed to absorb and dissipate crash forces, providing advanced protection where your child needs it most
The next entry in our best car seat for 6 year old article is Evenflo SafeMax, which stands out from the crowd with its unmatched versatility. Like the previous two models we have discussed, you can decide to use it as a harness, or a booster seat for 6 year old. You can navigate between two booster seat options-a backless booster and a high-back booster.
If safety takes precedence over anything else for you, then we can assure you that this item takes safety issues very seriously. It complies with all Federal safety standards, in fact, it offers double protection in terms of Federal Crash Test standards. The E3 Side Impact Protection with three sheets of specially formulated paddings nullifies half the collision impact.
Moreover, you won’t face many problems attaching it inside your car. The SureSafe latch system boasts a utility design that is compatible with all kinds of car seats. This seat does an excellent job of aligning the car’s seat belt to the shoulder and waist of your child. The Evenflo Outlast Technology prevents skin irritations in your kid’s skin in all seasons.
- 2x Federal Crash Test standard protection.
- The strap material is easy on the skin.
- 3-in-1 design.
- Navigating between various modes is not easy.
4. Cosco Finale DX 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat
- The Cosco Finale DX 2 in 1 Combination Booster Car Seat features a 5 point safety harness that converts to a belt positioning booster seat as your child grows, IIHS Best Bet rating for use in booster mode
- With extended use in both of its 2 modes, this car seat accommodates children from 30 to 65 pounds forward facing with a harness, and as a belt positioning booster for toddlers and older kids 40 to 100 pounds
- Perfect for growing families and carpools, this lightweight seat is easy to move from car to car; 3 of these car seats are designed to fit side by side across the back seat of most vehicles
The Cosco Finale DX can defy your expectations with its remarkable longevity. Chances are, you will never have to get another child seat for 6 year old, if you decide to go for this particular 2-in-1 seat. This is a seat that would cater to the needs of any family that has a six year old child. It also gives you the flexibility to choose between a harness and a booster seat.
What makes it quite attractive in our opinion, is its compact appearance. Since we are talking about 6 year old car seat, size economy is an aspect that you should not overlook. It is small enough to fit in all types of vehicles, but it does provide adequate space for your child. You can expect to fit three of these in a car, so it would be a godsend for families with more kids.
We found the belt size is befitting to children aged between four to eight years old. Even if your six year old has a bit more mature physique, you can expect this seat to hold him/her comfortably. On top of that, the seat is easy to lift and carry, which makes it easier to shift from one car to another.
- Fits most vehicles.
- Removable cup holder. You can also rotate its position.
- The seat cover is washing machine safe.
- The straps are not long enough to properly fit taller children.
5. Graco TurboBooster TakeAlong Highback Booster
- Two-way portability for safety on the go. Seat nests in high back mode and has a handle for easy storage and carrying. In backless mode, it folds via the Fast Action Fold, becomes 50% smaller and has a carry bag.
- Two seats in one: high back belt-positioning booster car seat and backless belt-positioning booster seat for kids 40-100 lb
- One-hand, 6-position adjustable headrest is easy to use and adapts for your growing child
Booster seats have been a specialty for Graco, and this is the latest inclusion in its booster seat line. Due to its versatility and utility, it could be a handy purchase for many families. While it is not the most lightweight one you would come across, that doesn’t take much away from the portability side of it. The excellent build quality is a perfect compensation for the extra weight.
The Graco TurboBooster TakeAlong seats ship in two variants. One of them is the Highback Booster edition we are reviewing here, and the other one is a no-back booster. While the no back booster is easier to pack and carry, the high back version is a must if you have taller kids in your family. It is also a long term solution, as it would still fit your child as they grow up.
We love how conveniently narrow the seats are. This specific design attribute makes them more compatible across a variety of cars. The addition of cupholders is a thoughtful touch too. If you are looking for the best car booster seat for six year old, the Graco TurboBooster TakeAlong Highback Booster is well worth a shout.
- Useful over a longer period of time.
- You can convert it to the backless version.
- Narrow size for universal fit.
- Not easy to transport.
6. Chicco GoFit Plus Backless Booster Car Seat
- BOOSTER CAR SEAT FOR 40 LBS AND UP – GoFit Plus is designed for children who are at least 4 years old, between 40-110 lbs. and 38-57 inches tall and who can sit relatively still in the same seated position throughout the car ride.
- GRAB & GO CONVENIENCE — The GoFit Plus backless booster is equipped with LATCH to help stabilize the seat while the child gets in and out. An innovative quick-release design means one-hand removal with a simple pull of the release handle.
- CONTOURED SEAT — The ErgoBoost contoured seat with double foam padding provides support in all the right places for big kid comfort. A built-in carry handle makes it easy to transfer the child booster seat from vehicle to vehicle.
Chicco GoFit Plus is the newest incarnation of the Amazon bestseller Chicco GoFit backless booster seats. You would get all the marvelous features of the Chicco GoFit in this edition. As upgraded features, you would get premium leather upholstery and quick release latches. This is one of the best car seat for 6 year old, you can buy in 2020.
Chicco GoFit was such a success that it almost became synonymous to backless booster car seats. Chicco GoFit Plus retains the comfort and quality offered by its predecessor, and also adds something more into the mix. The easy to attach latches fit comfortably, which in turn, enables your car seat belts to fit your kids to perfection.
The concave shape of the seat is a nifty engineering trick that makes the buckle crunches more accessible to your kids. Therefore, they can reach for them and buckle up by themselves. The use of retractable armrests is another fantastic design idea. You can bring them out and put them away at your will.
- Pop-out armrests.
- Machine washable fabric.
- Dishwater safe cupholders.
- Absence of an anchor mechanism.
7. BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat
- The Ultimate Travel Car Seat - Unlock the convenience of the USA’s first backless inflatable booster seat. BubbleBum is the only inflatable booster seat with a patented system to guarantee stability and comfort on every journey.
- Safety You Can Count On - Bubble Bum exceeds all US federal car safety standards & European regulations (FMVSS213 & R44/04). Your new car booster seat comes with a seat belt positioning clip for optimal seat belt fit and comfort. Ideal booster seat for car 40-100 lbs children.
- Take Anywhere Travel Booster Seat - The BubbleBum inflatable car seat is perfect for car rentals, taxis, vacations, and carpooling. Take your new backless booster seat on all your adventures. Perfect for kids 4 - 11yrs.
What are three boxes you would like the best car seat for 6 year old to tick? It has to be economical, it will take up minimal space, and it will bolster your kid’s safety to a substantial degree. Using BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat, you can hit all three of those benchmarks.
These seats are inflatable, so you would have to blow air into it with your mouth like a beach ball. It would take less than 30 seconds to have this inflated to its full size. The seat would shrink down to its minimum size within the same time, when you let go off the air. Then you can tuck it inside a travel bag and take it with you on the go.
This backless booster car seat doesn’t only trump its competition in portability, it also performs exceptionally good in safety and other metrics. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has certified BubbleBum Inflatable Backless Booster Car Seat to be the ‘’best bet’’ in road safety for children. To sweeten the deal, you can purchase this seat at a surprisingly low price.
- Fits into an average travel bag when deflated.
- IIHS rated for high safety standards.
- Affordable price.
- Low durability.
8. Big Kid LX High Back Booster
- Side impact tested; Meets or exceed all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side impact test standard, 6 positions allows the seat to grow with your child, 2 seats in 1 - removable back transitions to a AMP no-back booster, Always accessible elastic dual cup holders for drinks, Pad removes for machine-washing
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
- No back booster:weight: 40-110 lbs. (18-49.8 kg) ,Seat belt booster:weight: 30 lbs-110 lbs (13.6-49.8 kg)
Big Kid LX is one of the best booster seats for 6 year old, and it comes from one of the most trusted names in the game. Evenflo has marketed these seats under the Big Kid LX line and maintained its commitment in delivering top of the line car seats within a reasonable price margin.
You can alter between two seat modes in this model. You can swiftly go to high back from backless or do the exact opposite. This gives you more leeway as your kids continue to grow fast. You can transition them to the no-back mode from the high back one when you feel they have outgrown their previous seating arrangement.
You also have the opportunity to experiment and sort out the most comfortable position for your children from 6 pre-set height settings. The belt clip makes the seat belt of your car stay in line with the shoulder of your kid. The adjustments are easy to do and require only a single hand intervention.
- Suitable for a broader age group.
- Easy to adjust.
- Easily washable.
- The cup holder’s quality is not satisfactory.
9. Diono Cambria 2 Latch Booster Seat
- XL BOOSTER SEAT - Booster seat with wide contoured seat base and extra length for better leg support and kid comfort.
- 2-in-1 - Easily converts from a high back booster to a backless belt-positioning booster seat with two retractable cup holders
- QUICK & SECURE INSTALLATION - with LATCH connectors and front adjusters to securely connect the booster seat to your vehicle in seconds. Helps to make self-buckling easier and keeps the seat in place while the seat is unoccupied.
Let’s say it as it is-extravagance is not the forte when we are talking about the Diono Cambria 2 Latch Booster Seat. But, if you bring up utility, you won’t find many booster seats that have so much to offer at this price range. It won’t grow out of use anytime soon, even though your kids keep on climbing up to larger wardrobe sizes.
To make room for growth, Diono Cambria 2 does not cut corners by shifting its focus from comfort and security. The plush cushioning doesn’t only keep your kid comfortable throughout the journey, it also serves as the ideal rebounding surface in cases of abrupt brakes and other unforeseen road events.
The extra layer of padding takes the edge off of any unwanted impact and minimizes the risk of an injury. The 19-inch width might be a bit demanding of space inside your car, but if you have a big enough vehicle, it will provide ample coverage for your child’s growing shoulders. You can regulate the height of the back in six different heights.
- Suitable for longer use.
- Thick padding for superior comfort and security.
- Ergonomic design.
- Difficult to install in smaller cars.
10. Evenflo Maestro Sport Harness Booster Car Seat
- 2-in-1 Booster - Forward-facing harness (22-50poundss) converts to belt-positioning booster (40-110 pounds)
- Dual Cup Holders: Two built-in cup holders keep drinks and snacks within reach - allows the driver to stay focused on the road
- Upfront Harness Adjust: Central, front access to the harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child's harness for an accurate, snug fit
We will conclude our list of best car seat for 6 year old with Evenflo Maestro Sport Harness Booster Car Seat. This seat is resourceful, comfortable, and durable. Therefore, it is a very good consideration for safeguarding your young ones while traveling on wheels. The height of the seat is up to the mark for a forward facing harness.
At the same time, it has sufficient space to make a high-back booster arrangement possible as well. Combining both of these qualities, the Evenflo Maestro Sport is one of the best booster seats with harness. The padding in this seat hits the perfect balance between safety and portability.
The cushioning in Evenflo Maestro Sport is far from overwhelming. So, it is fairly lightweight and increases your luggage load to a minimum. However, the padding still passes with flying colors when it comes to protection. The narrow base makes it easier to place the seat inside a vehicle regardless of its size.
- Fits in easily inside almost all vehicles.
- Easy installation.
- The harness fits a bit tight.
How To Buy The Best Car Seat for Six Year Old?
While buying the best car seat for six year old, you need to check a number of features of the car seat. Only buy the car seat if it ticks all of the features mentioned below:
So, what makes a car seat the best car seat for 6 year old? You have to mull over certain essential features to decide what car seat for a 6 year old is better than other offerings. First and foremost, the seat has to be lightweight. If you want an exact weight count, we would say don’t cross the 10lbs threshold.
Ease of Use & Durability
Also, it has to be easy to use. You don’t want a complex setup procedure involved whenever you want to go out on a ride with your family. User-friendly car seats for 6 year old child would save you a lot of time and trouble. And, it also has to be durable enough to last a few years. Your kid will outgrow the seat in a matter of years, and a single seat should make do.
That said, if the seat is quite inexpensive, but you feel that it is a comfortable booster seat for 6 yr old, then it makes sense to buy it regardless of the durability. If it becomes unusable in a year or so, you can replace it without breaking the bank. If you add up the costs, then you will see, it costs the same or even less than more expensive car seat options.
The Body Shape of Your Children
As we pointed out earlier, needs would vary across families because of the differences in the physical profiles of their children. If your kid has a taller shape, then a few more years of harnessing could benefit him/her. Keeping that in mind, you will have to go for taller seats, even though they will cost you a bit extra.
Padding would also be a crucial factor to look at if you go on long drives often, or plan to use the seat in airplanes. On that note, we don’t think you would need a special seat in airplanes for your child. The airplane seat designs are more suitable for 6 year olds than automobile seats. So, only pack a baby seat if you plan on driving a lot in the place you are traveling to.
Refrain from Buying Used Car Seats
Did you find an old booster seat for 6 year old on eBay that is priced at half the price of a new one? While that sounds like a deal too good to refuse, pediatricians would advise you to steer clear of used car seats. The car seat fabric might contain unknown germs and bacteria that can cause skin distress to your children.
At this point, you might be thinking “Big deal! I’ll just wash it thoroughly before use.” Yes, that would eliminate some of the threat associated with it. We say “some”, because there is still a good deal of risk involved. The seat cover fabric comes with specific expiration dates. After the expiration deadline passes, it could release harmful toxins.
Unfortunately, no matter how thoroughly you clean the seat fabric, you can’t make an expired seat covering safe for use. When you buy a seat second-hand, there is no way to know when the exact expiration date is. So, purchasing old car seats for six year olds is not worth the risk, no matter how cost-effective it is.
Best Car Seat for 6 Year Old: Classification
As you have seen in our top 10 recommendations for the best car seat for six year olds, there are many kinds of car seats in the market. Some of them have harness or booster-only designs, while others incorporate a multifaceted mechanism. These all-purpose seats can transform from one form to another in a matter of seconds.
In the following paragraphs, we will break down these classifications in more detail. We will try to draw a clear line between forward-facing seats, aka harness seats, and booster seats. These are the only seat categories the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration greenlights for children aged six.
Forward Facing Car Seat
Forward-facing car seats harness the mobility of your kids. These types of seats are more appropriate for younger kids, who are yet to develop the maturity to sit calmly in the car seat. However, there is no guarantee that children will gain the wisdom of a responsible passenger at a certain age.
So, there is no guarantee how long you would need to use the harness for. For some kids, that stage will come well before six and some might need longer to show such mellowness. If your kids sit idle and respond to your directions immediately, you wouldn’t need to use these seats. Otherwise, forward-facing car seats are a necessity for you.
Booster seats can be seen as a sign of parental confidence. When you trust your kid to sit in a booster seat, you are convinced that he has become intelligent enough to move responsibly inside the vehicle. NHTSA guidelines state the transition age to be between four to seven years. But, this is not a definitive age group for booster seat compatibility.
Booster seats usually accommodate larger body shapes than forward-facing ones. So, it would be ideal to shift from harness to a booster seat when your child reaches a certain stage of growth. However, you must make sure that you can rely on him/her to not exploit this newfound freedom and start making reckless movements.
Therefore, you should pick the type of seat that suits the physical and mental stage of your children.
Frequently Asked Questions
What car seat should a 6 year old be in?
A six year old needs to be in a car seat that makes up for their smaller physique and allows the seatbelt of the car to secure their position. We can use either a forward-facing car seat or a booster car seat.
Forward facing seats are appropriate for younger children, who are agile and more vulnerable. Booster seats, on the contrary, are aimed towards children who have developed a greater sense of responsibility. We would recommend purchasing a car seat that can be used both ways.
What is the safest booster seat for a six year old?
We have reviewed some excellent booster seat for six year old. However, if we were to isolate one for its safety features, it would be Evenflo SafeMax 3-in-1 combination booster seat. With E3 Side Impact protection, it offers premium security to protect your kid in the worst possible scenarios.
How safe are backless booster seats?
Backless booster seats offer a decent amount of protection, but they are not as good as high back boosters. The most common safety flaw in backless booster seats is that it often fails to keep the shoulder belt of the vehicle stay in place. Some backless booster seats address this issue by introducing a special shoulder belt clip. You can buy one with similar clips for better safety.
What is the difference between a 3-point harness and a 5-point harness?
A 5 point harness consists of two straps for waist, two straps for should along with one that goes between the middle of the legs. With 3 point harnesses, you don’t get waist straps, so the hip region remains unprotected. Always opt for a 5 point harness over a 3 point one.
In our final remarks, we would like to emphasize that each of the items we have reviewed here, come with rave reviews from previous users. You can pick any of these as the best car seat for 6 year old. Before you make a final decision, please read our buying guide to confirm that you don’t miss out on any essential features.