We live in a world where transport is a regular part of our lives, yet even though it seems easy, transportation poses a lot of risks for accidents, both major and minor.
In order to avoid such risks as much as possible, all parents should provide the best possible safety for their children.
Since cars are used as daily means of locomotion, these are the places to ensure extra safety features. In this Chicco MyFit vs Graco Nautilus guide, we are gonna talk about two products that will ensure safety for kids inside the car.
After reading the review, you’ll know about their advantages and drawbacks and will be able to easily choose one among them.
Chicco MyFit vs Graco Nautilus
Both of these car seats are great choices, but different individuals will nonetheless prefer one or the other according to their particular requirements and taste.
Let us compare the two car seats in order to understand the features better so that we can pick the right one for us:
The Chicco MyFit has two modes- it can be used as a harnessed or a booster car seat. Here, the harness is great for toddlers, whereas the booster is needed for children 4 years and older.
And the Graco Nautilus 65 LX has three different modes– forward-facing, high back booster, and backless booster mode. The forward-facing mode is for younger children, about 4 years old, the high back booster is for 7-year-olds, and the backless booster is for 10 years and above.
Chicco MyFit contains a safety harness, which is of five points and contains a seat which is great for safety as it has foam padding that is of two times the normal density. The seat frame is made of steel, which is very strong and takes a lot of impacts.
And the head and torso portions have also been provided with EPS foam, which absorbs a lot of impact during accidents.
This is not all, however. The Chicco MyFit also contains protection against impacts provided by something called the DuoGuard system, which is perhaps the best safety feature it has.
Now, this system provides two zones of safety containing great foam depth, one for the torso and another for the head, in two layers. It also contains latch straps for safety. The Graco Nautilus has been provided with a plastic frame reinforced with steel, which makes it very durable and strong against impact.
And the Nautilus also contains EPS foam to absorb shockwave and has even been built with the capacity to withstand high interior car temperatures, which is very important for those summer days. The Nautilus also has latch straps that provide safety.
Comfort is not an issue when it comes to the Chicco MyFit. Due to all the extra padding, including pads for the shoulders, belt, and chest, the seat is extremely comfortable for children.
Additionally, it has a headrest that can be changed single-handedly and be moved in 9 directions, a recliner which can be adjusted to 4 positions, and space for storing both the unused safety harness and the latch. The straps of the harness also do not require any rethreading.
And the steel frame is also contoured in such a way that it does not hurt the child in any way. The fabric of the seat is very soft and easy to wash, and the seat also contains two large and convenient cupholders. All this makes for great comfort and ease of use.
The Graco Nautilus contains contoured arm-rests, which are very comfy for children. It also contains removable body support padding. This is very convenient as older children might not need them, so you can just take them out.
Moreover, the Nautilus contains one cupholder for the trip, but most exciting of all, it contains a goodie compartment! This is a very useful and fun storage option for children, as they can keep their snacks and toys there.
Additionally, there is also storage space for the latch and harness straps when they are not in use. The Nautilus also has a three-position reclining system, easy to loosen straps, no rethreading, and an adjustable bottom buckle for growing kids.
- Installation and Durability
The Chicco MyFit is very well renowned for its ease of installation. Customers have time and again been surprised at this, especially since most seats are tough or quite frustrating to install.
There are two ways you can install the car seat, you can either set up the seat with the latch system, which is preferred as it offers absolute safety, or you could go with the seat-belt option, which is quite good as well.
Both systems are quite smooth to work with, and the presence of the LockSure system makes for a tight fit of the seat, which the parents adore. The MyFit comes with very durable parts, including the fabric, and has an expiration of 8 years.
Moreover, the Graco Nautilus has the same installation systems, minus the LockSure mechanism, which leaves the seat a bit wobbly when installed using the seat belt. The installation process is a bit less smooth for Nautilus, but it’s quite possible nonetheless.
Just like MyFit, Nautilus also comes with very durable parts, and it has an expiration of 10 years, slightly better than MyFit.
- Color Options
The Chicco MyFit harness + booster comes in 5 gorgeous styles and color options- canyon, indigo, gardenia, fathom, and notte. All of the options have clear-cut contrasting buttons for ease of use. The Graco Nautilus 65 LX also comes in 5 different styles and colors- Matrix, Conley, Ayla, Raquel, and Pierce.
An Overview of Chicco MyFit Harness Booster Car Seat Review
This one is suitable for both toddlers and older children. It has both a forward-facing and rear-facing harness, which makes it a very desirable option. The safety and comfort features make it one of the top-most available car seats for children, especially in the medium price range.
Also, the seat is easy to install, the plus point being that the seat does not wiggle or wobble even when the vehicle’s belt system is used to install it, due to the LockSure vehicle belt lock-offs. Overall, this is one of the best seats available in the market.
- Duo Guard 2-layers Rigid Shell with energy absorbing steel reinforcement PLUS 2 Zones Side Impact protection for Head & Torso
- Rest assured with 4-Position true recline and 9-Position headrest to support proper posture for every car ride
- Lock Sure belt-tightening system helps achieve a secure installation with vehicle seat belt
- Ergo Boost double foam padding and contoured seat design provide support in all the right places
Chicco MyFit Harness Booster Car Seat
- The padding and steel frame provides great safety.
- Very comfortable to sit on.
- Provides a tight fit when installed using the seat belt.
- The headrest is moveable in 9 directions.
- The seat is reclinable in 4 different positions.
- Contains compartment for storing the latch.
- Two removable cup holders
- The seat is very heavy, so is hard to move around.
- Not very suitable for children with wider bodies.
- Price is slightly more than Graco Nautilus 65 LX.
An Overview of Graco Nautilus 65 LX 3-in-1 Car Seat Review
As the name suggests, Graco Nautilus contains a harness, a high-back booster, and a backless booster. Note that the harness is ONLY forward-facing, unlike the Chicco MyFit, which also has a rear-facing option.
The installation of the Nautilus is also quite easy, but some users have reviewed it as a bit frustrating at times, and when the seat belt installation system is used, it leaves a disappointingly loose seat.
And the price of the Nautilus is slightly less than that of the MyFit, and it has been considered as a very good option for children for a long-time running, being both reasonably safe and comfortable to use.
Its 3 modes also give it an advantage in terms of options and are appreciated by children and parents alike.
- 3-in-1 Harness Booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth; Harness Booster (20 - 65 pounds), High back Booster (30 - 100 pounds), backless booster (40 - 120 pounds)
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System headrest and harness adjust together; One-hand, 5-position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; Be sure to check your local and state laws, as well as AAP and NHTSA recommendations, for car seat usage
- Keeps your child in a booster longer - up to 120 pounds; Fuss Free harness storage to get baby in and out easily
- Removable body support helps keep your child comfy; 3-position recline helps keep your growing child comfy
Graco Nautilus 65 LX 3-in-1 Car Seat
- Very safe and durable.
- Can be used as a harness, high-back booster, and backless booster.
- Extra compartment for storing snacks and toys.
- Pads are machine washable.
- Very simple to convert to a booster seat.
- Can withstand high temperatures.
- Price is slightly less than Chicco MyFit.
- Heat can warp the buckles.
- The bottom buckle is tough to adjust.
- Latching into a car can be troublesome.
- The harness can be too loose.
- Only one cup holder.
- Reclining feature doesn’t work satisfactorily.
- Uncomfortable for children with wider shoulders.
Chicco MyFit vs Graco Nautilus: Which One to Choose?
Both of the seats are very well-liked and used quite widely. Before choosing, make sure to consider what you really require. Chicco MyFit is a great option overall, with amazing safety, comfort, installation, and ease of use features.
However, if your child is on the thicker side, this may not be the best option for you. A plus point, however, is that the harness is both front and rear-facing, so if that aspect is important for you, then go for this seat.
Graco Nautilus, on the other hand, should be considered for its 3-in-1 seating options. The backless option is greater for older children, not to mention the fact that the seat is lighter to move about.
This seat has only a forward-facing harness. However, due to the narrow back, it is not going to be comfortable for wide-shouldered children. Overall, the Nautilus is a good choice, depending on your needs.
Go ahead and choose wisely, and we hope you enjoyed our Chicco MyFit vs Graco Nautilus guide.